2017 promises to be a really exciting year if you are planning on coming on one of our cob building workshops – either our 1 day pizza oven workshop or 4 day cob house/ studio building course. We have teamed up with the wonderful Monkton Wyld Court – an internationally renowned centre for sustainable education.
Where is Monkton Wyld Court?
On the Devon/ Dorset border, near the Jurassic Coast it is perfectly situated in beautiful rolling countryside, but within walking distance of the beach. Charmouth, Lyme Regis, Bridport, Branscombe, Sidmouth and many other wonderful coastal towns and villages are all really close by.
Monkton Wyld Court
Why did we choose to team up with Monkton Wyld Court for 2017?
Monkton Wyld is the perfect setting for our fun and inspiring cob courses. It offers:
- glorious views from the cob building site across rolling Devon and Dorset countryside
- there is camping or B&B accommodation on site if you would like to stay where the workshops are
- the accommodation on site is affordable and all breakfasts provided by Monkton Wyld are home grown/ produced on their farm and organic
- there are fantastic facilities for the course including an outdoor classroom with great views
- if you stay on site there is an onsite organic pub open in the evenings, a pizza oven and fire pit for campers, and the old rectory house offers comfortable accommodation with wonderful architecture – there’s even a grand piano!
- it is close to excellent transport links so coming by car, rail, plane or train is easy – it’s close enough to London even for a day visit.
- Monkton Wyld is an internationally renowned centre for sustainable education and offers other courses on sustainable living which tie in well with what we do and believe in
- Monton Wyld are a charity which subscribes to similar values as our organisation with regards to living sustainably.
How will you get to Monkton Wyld Court for your cob building workshop?
Monkton Wyld is located roughly 3 miles from Charmouth, 3.5 miles from Lyme Regis and 4 miles from Axminster. The hamlet of Monkton Wyld is signposted from the A35 halfway between Charmouth and Axminster. Ignore signs for Monkton Wyld Farm if coming from Axminster. You’ll find Monkton Wyld Court just opposite St Andrews Church, about half a mile off the A35
The closest bus stop is a pleasant 30-minute walk away at the Hunter’s Lodge pub in Raymond’s Hill, on the X31 or 31 bus route which runs between Axminster and Bridport via Lyme Regis. Just be sure to consult the map before setting out. There is also a National Express coach from London Victoria which stops in Raymond’s Hill. Of course there are also taxis for the last leg of the journey if you don’t fancy or are unable to do the walk.
The nearest railway station is Axminster, on the main London Waterloo to Exeter line. Axminster is an hour and a quarter’s walk away; alternatively, a bus (see below) runs between Axminster station and Raymond’s Hill, from which it is a 30-minute walk to Monkton Wyld Court. Taxis are best booked in advance. Lifts from Axminster are occasionally available upon request, please ask for details.
Exeter Airport is close by and a 30 minute train journey from Exeter takes you to Axminster which is only 4 miles away from the workshops at Monkton Wyld. Alternatively fly to Bristol which is a little further away. London Airports Heathrow and Gatwick are easy too with fantastic rail links between London and Axminster.
If want more info please call us anytime on 01297 44275 or use our contact form.